Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

Aubergines My Way

I love aubergines. This weekend, I learnt a new way to prepare them. So, at the moment, I prepare them in three different ways (the third one is the new one):

1. Dice the aubergines. Fry them in coconut oil. Add sea salt and pepper. (My absolute favourite but also the least healthy...)

2. Slice the aubergines and add extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and pepper on top of them. I sometimes also add fresh parsley. Bake the aubergines in the oven.

3. Go mental. Stab the aubergines all over with a fork. Rub some extra virgin olive oil and sea salt on top of the stabbed aubergines. Bake them in the oven. When ready, the skin will come off really easily and you can use the flesh whichever way you want. One of the main benefits of this cooking method (in addition to the obvious psychotherapeutic benefits) is its lightness; aubergines tend to soak up a lot of fat, and this cooking method keeps most of the fat on the outside.

Au bergine,
Annika

2 comments:

  1. Dear Annika,
    As we speak, I am trying to replicate recipe 3, but how long do you leave the aubergine in the oven (I see some smoke now, shall I take it out)?
    A fan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Michael,

    Your comment made me laugh.

    If you really do see smoke, you should probably take the aubergine out of the oven (and maybe also call the fire brigade if your aubergine is on fire ;-)).

    What temperature were you baking your aubergine in? I just realised that I had not included the temperature in the recipe. I haven't baked aubergines for a while now but I think that I used to bake them at about 150 degrees. I will change the recipe when I'm sure of the temperature.

    As for the cooking time, it depends a lot on the size of your aubergine but you could always use a fork to check if the aubergine is already soft inside.

    Good luck,
    Annika

    ReplyDelete